This project brings many benefits, both to the global climate, and
also to the local communities and regions where schemes are
- Rapid impact on climate This project does not depend on
reducing greenhouse gas emissions, which will take decades to have a
significant effect. As soon as clouds are formed, they will start having a
cooling effect. Regional cooling impacts will be measurable within 15
- Low risk, low cost. The project involves much less risk,
pollution and spending than would be required by other suggested global
cooling / geo-engineering strategies.
- Easy to adopt, uncontroversial. As this involves working
with water, soil and clouds, cooling impacts do not depend on political
agreements about CO2 emissions, or getting large numbers of
people to change their energy consumption patterns.
- Gives us more time to adapt. The project will not solve
the problem of global warming, but it can delay the effects by 10 years.
Reducing our greenhouse gas emissions is still something we will need to
pursue vigorously, but this project will buy us more time, and ease our
transition to a low-carbon economy.
Local and Regional Benefits
In addition to the global benefits, there will be numerous local and
regional benefits. The exact benefits will be location dependent. In Africa,
the benefits will include:
- Increased rainfall
- Better water supply
- Longer growing season
- Improved agriculture and forestry
- Reduced soil erosion
- Reduced frequency of floods
- Reduction in maximum temperatures
- Reduced desertification
- Increased biodiversity
- Improved human well-being and food security
- Local employment creation and project control
- Low cost, simple and quick to implement
- Local benefits are measurable within 2 years
What are the downsides?
Whenever there is a change in the local climate, there will be some positive
and some negative effects. For instance, in some areas, there may be an
increase in mosquitos. Any possible negative consequences will be assessed and
quantified in relation to the specific locations chosen for implementation.
- Read an overview of the project.
- Read more detail about the phases of the
- Read more about the science behind
- Support the project with a donation.